Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Caribbean Thanksgiving

Reggae and Calypso music played in the background, as we gathered in my sisters home to enjoy our Thanksgiving meal with family, it was great!

Thirteen to fifteen of my family got together for the first time in many a year to join me in the celebration of our Thanksgiving meal. A few were unable to attend the meal, but came later for the family photo's.

I shared the reasons we celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada, and one of the things that I liked to do as we sat around the table. And asked each person shared one thing they were thankful for. Several of the children and to my surprise the teens shared what they were thankful for, my sister Jennifer who has MS was very thankful for life and family, as were we all. Everyone was well fed in fact many said that they were stuffed. LOL! I am glad that I did not have Turkey. Hahahaha!

Though it was not all perfect. There were several hiccups and frustrating moments during our time together, and some even felt the need to sabotage the evening with their antics and personal grievances. I gave God thanks for the many blessings that I did have. Like having my sister Vonnette attend. I had not seen her in twenty-nine years, and we got along well. I thank God that I was able to take pictures and give Him the glory, but Thanksgiving was not just about us but about Him.

So salt fish, dumplings, fungi, and goat meat all eaten, not to mention the rice and peas, and curried side dishes. Salads and all kinds of treats, the meal was topped off with Carrot cake not Caribbean but a much welcomed treat, all were well fed and a happy Thanksgiving was had by all.

Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment